Snowboarding is a sport that requires special gear, and that does not mean just your snowboard. Having the right attire is also just as important as having the right snowboard; every experienced snowboarder will tell you that.
Making sure that you stay warm, dry, and comfortable while being exposed to the extreme cold is a must in order to enjoy the sport and to have the best snowboarding experience possible. That’s why finding the best snowboarding jackets available in the market should be a top priority, especially if you don’t have one yet.
Finding the perfect snowboarding jacket can be a difficult task to overcome. There are so many choices available that it’s easy to get confused and just choose one at random to get it over with. A jacket is a jacket after all, right?
Unfortunately, that is not the case when it comes to snow sportswear. In fact, there are many things to consider before finally deciding on which jacket to buy. Here are some aspects to consider:
Different Fabric Materials
When it comes to snowboarding jackets, the main priority of manufacturers is to provide warmth and a certain level of water resistance. They may advertise their products having fancy materials on them, but when it comes down to it there are four main materials used in the making of snowboarding jackets: polyester, nylon, micro-fibers, and Gore-Tex.
- Polyester – Probably the most common type of material used not just for sportswear, but for many clothing items. This is mainly because polyester is a strong, durable, shrink and stretch resistant material. It also allows for quick-drying, which makes it one of the best materials to use for outerwear. When it is woven tightly, polyester can also be water-resistant thus adding to its value.
- Nylon – Another strong material commonly used for the manufacturing of snowboarding jackets is nylon. Its low-absorbency and elasticity make it very durable and useful when used in sportswear. This material can also be dyed and washed easily, making it a top choice for both manufacturers and riders alike.
- Microfibers – Technically, microfibers are not a type of material, but are actually fine fibers made of either polyester or nylon that are used by manufacturers to add durability, breathability, and water resistance to their products. This is worth mentioning because snowboarding jackets can be advertised to have microfibers for increased value; therefore, jackets made with microfibers are usually more expensive.
- Gore-Tex – Gore-Tex is a material that has recently gained fame in the clothing and medical industry. This highly porous material has microscopic openings that are 20,000 times smaller than water droplets. This makes a snowboarding jacket extremely breathable and waterproof. Normally when used in outer sportswear, Gore-Tex membranes are attached to a nylon or polyester base to create a protective barrier against snow, rain, and wind.
Snowboarding Jacket Characteristics
When it comes to snowboarding jackets, the material isn’t the only aspect to consider. Looking into the different characteristics can help in choosing the right garment to wear. For snowboarding jackets, there are three main characteristics that are worth understanding: water resistance, breathability, and wind resistance.
This is the most common aspect of a snowboarding jacket. If it cannot hold its own against even the lightest of rain and snowfall, that jacket should not make the cut. When it comes to choosing a jacket based on waterproofing, just remember the more extreme the weather, the better the water resistance of your jacket should be.
The breathability of the garment is usually tied to its water resistance capability. They go hand-in-hand because as the waterproof ratings go up, the breathability of the snowboarding jacket usually goes down.
Wind resistance is not very commonly discussed when it comes to snowboarding jackets. Most manufacturers concentrate on waterproofing and breathability because this is what most people look into, but wind resistance can also be an important characteristic for a snowboarding jacket.
A jacket that is built using wind-resistant fabrics provides extra warmth for those who like to reach maximum speeds on the slopes. Basically, the wind resistance capability of a jacket is most important for those who snowboard at a professional level.
|The North Face Denali 2 Jacket||$$||4.4/5.0|
|DC Men’s Servo Jacket||$||4.4/5.0|
|Burton Covert Insulated Snowboard Jacket Mens||$$$||3.7/5.0|
|Mountain Hardwear StretchDown Hooded Jacket||$$$||3.3/5.0|
|O’Neill Compass Snowboard Jacket||$$$||5.0/5.0|
|DC Shuvit Snowboard Jacket Mens||$$||4.2/5.0|
|Quiksilver Snow Men’s Mission 3 In 1 Jacket||$||4.7/5.0|
|neff Men’s Trifecta 2 Mens Jacket||$||4.7/5.0|
|Quiksilver Mens Fiction Snowboard Jacket||$||5.0/5.0|
|Burton TWC Tracker Snowboard Jacket||$||5.0/5.0|
5 of the Best Snowboarding Jackets to Consider
It is understandable that even at this point you are still unsure about which snowboarding jacket is the perfect one for you. Don’t worry, here is a short list of some of the most popular choices when it comes to brand and value for money.
The North Face Men’s Denali 2 Jacket
When it comes to outdoor clothing and gear, one of the most popular and most talked about brand is The North Face. That comes as no surprise because they have consistently produced outdoor gear that is both reliable and functional. This is why The North Face Men’s Denali 2 Jacket makes this list of best snowboarding jackets.
- Available in different colors
- Sizes range from X-Small to XX-Large
- Gives a comfortable and relaxed fit
- Cuffs are stretchable for added comfort
- Zip-in compatible with complementary North Face clothing
- Two easy to access chest pockets
- Adjustable waist drawstring
- Reinforced abrasion protection for shoulders, chest, and forearm areas
- Weight: 2 pounds
- Material made of recycled fleece to ensure warmth, comfort, and durability
- Well-known and reliable brand
- Durable, high-quality, and guaranteed a good value for money product
- Can withstand harsh and cold weather
- Uses recycled fleece to help the environment and keep you warm
- Relaxed fit for better mobility
- Slightly more expensive compared to other brands
- Sizing is not standard
- A little heavier compared to other jackets
- Drawstring at the waist can be an issue when snowboarding
The North Face Men’s Denali 2 Jacket is still one of the favored and popular snowboarding jackets. It offers just the right amount of warmth and mobility that every snowboarder is looking for. It is a product that lives up to its brand name and is worth every penny.
DC Men’s Servo Jacket
Although DC is a brand more commonly associated with skateboarding, it also offers clothing and apparel for other sports like snowboarding. One such popular product is the DC Men’s Servo Jacket. The snowboarding jacket is a necessary piece of garment needed for the sport and DC has come up with a jacket that is perfect for going down the snowy slopes.
- 100% Polyester
- Available in different colors
- Chest pockets come with a snap closure and webbing straps
- Seams are tapered
- Hand wash only jacket
- Military-inspired print
- Attached hoodie
- Comes with pit vents for enhanced ventilation
- Snowboarding jacket built for bigger frames
- High-quality brand and products
- Easy to access large pockets for extra carrying space
- Pit vents ensure you are properly ventilated and do not overheat while snowboarding
- A rugged look that comes in different colors
- The polyester material will keep you warm and dry
- More affordable compared to other snowboarding jackets
- Boxy cut
- Runs longer than other snowboarding jackets
- Brand is not known for its snowboarding apparel
Aside from the DC brand not being known for its snowboarding apparel, the DC Men’s Servo Jacket is a warm, functional, and affordable option when it comes to snowboarding jackets. Because of its large sizing, bigger and taller men are able to wear this jacket comfortably. Jackets like this one are best for those who are still trying out the sport or those who do not plan on snowboarding frequently.
Burton Covert Insulated Snowboard Jacket
If you are looking for top quality and dependable snowboarding jacket the Burton Covert Insulated Snowboarding Jacket for men might just be for you. The Burton brand is considered as one of the most sought after brands in the snowboarding community because its snowboarding clothing line extends from boots to jackets, ensuring that you are covered from head to toe in only the finest gear. It’s well-crafted jacket offers unmatched warmth and waterproofing without having to sacrifice style.
- Guaranteed to be made from high-quality materials
- Made from 45% recycle materials
- Comes with THERMOLITE insulation
- Premium waterproofing
- Made with breathable lining for enhanced warmth and comfort
- Taffeta is used as lining to ensure breathability
- Venting Pit Zips for ventilation
- Removable waist gaiter
- Extra pockets
- Comes with hoodie
- Very lightweight and does not cause drag when speeding
- Light materials do not compromise warmth, comfort, or insulation
- Good for the environment with 45% of its material is recycled
- Patented Venting Pit Zips ensures proper ventilation
- Adjustable and removable waist gaiter to prevent snow from entering the jacket
- Easy to access pockets that can be used to store just about anything
- Attached hoodie for better wind resistance and protection from cold
- Has an ergonomic water-repelling capability
- Well tried, tested, and loved brand for snowboarding apparel
- A very expensive snowboarding jacket
- Weighs a little more than 2 pounds because of the material used for added water resistance
- Easily sells out or available in limited sizes
When it comes to the Burton Covert Insulated Snowboard Jacket for men, be prepared to pay top dollar. This jacket comes highly recommended by avid snowboarders. It offers just the right warmth and comfort while also ensuring that you stay dry because of its waterproof feature.
This jacket may not be the best for newbies as it is an expensive investment, but if you are planning to spend many holidays snowboarding on the icy slopes, this jacket will be worth every penny you spend.
Mountain Hardwear StretchDown Hooded Jacket
Perhaps one of the best materials used in snowboarding jackets for ensuring proper insulation is down. It is very lightweight, compact, and warm. This is the main reason why the Mountain Hardwear StretchDown Hooded Jacket deserves a spot on this list.
A balance between a jacket’s ability to provide warmth, stay comfortable, and keep you mobile while also remaining lightweight is difficult to achieve, but this particular jacket has achieved just that, plus it is also water-resistant. This snowboarding jacket has a number of different features and advantages that make it deserving of its popularity.
- Unique stretch-bonded channel for added insulation
- Stays soft even when exposed to moisture
- Down and fabric construction traps warmth within the jacket
- Weighs at just 1 pound and 2 ounces
- Chambers are constructed to retain warmth
- Easy mobility
- Unmatched warmth and comfort during and even after snow-related activities
- Comes with attached hoodie
- A unique blend of comfort, warmth, softness, stretch, and water resistance
- Optimum snowboarding jacket
- Dual-function chambers for maximum flexibility and proper insulation
- Waterproof feature makes it popular with experienced snowboarders
- Shield DOWN-filled chambers easily repels moisture to stay soft even when wet
- Stay stylish without compromising warmth and mobility
- Attached hoodie for wind resistance and face protection
- Lightweight at just 1 pound and 2 ounces for easy packing and less drag when riding
- High price for seasonal wear
- Sizing issues
The Mountain Hardwear StretchDown Hooded Jacket is made from the highest of quality material available. It is well-crafted and uses the best material for insulation—down. It is no surprise that it comes with a very high price tag and is considered as one of the most expensive snowboarding jackets available on the market.
If you are not planning to go snowboarding frequently or have no plans on visiting colder climates often, this may not be a good investment for you. If you are, then the Mountain Hardwear StretchDown Hooded Jacket will live up to its wonderful and expensive reputation.
O’Neill Compass Snowboard Jacket
There’s no denying it. Brands are one of the main factors people consider when they are about to buy a product. A sports brand that is not known for producing specialized apparel for a certain sport will surely come second to a brand that specializes in the said sport.
Take for example the O’Neill brand, as it is a very popular outerwear sports shop. They have been manufacturing garments that specifically target a certain sport and have proven time and time again that they are reliable. This is why the O’Neill Compass Snowboard Jacket for men is a popular choice for snowboarding jackets.
- Shell is made of 100% Polyester (aside from coating)
- Filling is also 100% Polyester
- Comfortable mountaineering fit for enhanced mobility and ventilation
- Water-resistant and wind-resistant
- Separate phone and goggle pocket
- Fitted with a snow gaiter on waist and wrists
- Fixed hood
- Critically taped seams
- Chin guard fitted
- Easy lift and accessible Velcro pockets
- Weighs 3 pounds
- Inner storm pocket fitted for moisture repelling
- Well-known and trusted brand
- Equipped with special features for snowboarding
- Affordable snowboarding jacket option
- Mountaineering fit that allows proper ventilation through underarm air pockets
- Easy to access phone and goggle pockets for convenience
- Jacket shell and interior is made from 100% Polyester, one of the best materials for snowboarding jackets
- High waterproof rating to help you stay dry and warm at all times
- Easy and comfortable fit for easy maneuvering while on the slopes
- Wrist and waist gaiters help in keeping the snow and cold from getting inside
- Fixed hoodie for extra protection and wind resistance
- Well-constructed and well-designed snowboarding jacket that can withstand extreme exposure to temperature while snowboarding
- Considered as a heavy snowboarding jacket at 3 pounds
- Added weight can cause a drag
- Limited to 3 colors
When it comes down to it, the O’Neill Compass Snowboard Jacket is worth it. It is a jacket that is packed with various useful features at a very affordable price. Despite its heavier weight and limited color selection, it still remains as one of the most popular and most loved snowboarding jackets available on the market.
You cannot find any other high-quality, highly recommended, well-equipped snowboarding jacket at a very affordable price. This is a snowboarding jacket that is definitely worth every penny, and more.
The search for the best snowboarding jackets can be a tough road to conquer, but when you find the right one, you’ll know it was a worth it investment. Keep in mind that warmth and comfort are the top priorities when it comes to these types of jackets and neither should compromise the other.
If you’re just starting out and aren’t sure if you’ll like the sport, don’t jump the gun and buy the most expensive jacket just because it comes highly recommend. Be wise and check out affordable options first like the DC Men’s Servo Jacket or The North Face Men’s Denali 2 Jacket. They might not be equipped with the best features, but they are most suitable for beginners.
When you’ve spent time on the slopes and have decided that snowboarding is a sport for you, it is then you should invest in snowboarding jackets that are recommended by professionals. The O’Neill Compass Snowboard Jacket comes highly recommended for its many unique features while the Mountain Hardwear StretchDown is famed for its unmatched warmth and comfort.
When it comes down to it, prioritize your warmth and comfort. No snowboarding trip is worth the hassle if you come back with a severe cold because you weren’t warm enough.